Is Backlog the precise mission administration instrument in your software program improvement staff’s wants? We are going to show you how to determine that out by dissecting Backlog’s options, pricing, plus execs and cons.
What Is Backlog?
Backlog is mission administration software program that may assist deliver software program improvement groups along with different departments inside a company, akin to IT, advertising, and design to launch premium merchandise shortly. The software program achieves this aim by way of monitoring, process administration, collaboration, model management options, and extra, which we are going to now talk about in additional element.
What are the Options of Backlog Undertaking Administration?
Backlog comes with an entire set of options to assist software program improvement groups collaborate simply, enhance effectivity, and churn out high-quality merchandise faster. Beneath are a few of Backlog’s finest choices.
Monitoring mission progress is a breeze with Backlog. As an alternative of counting on clunky and time-consuming spreadsheets and electronic mail chains, mission managers can use Backlog to handle tasks by discussing concepts, organizing duties, and monitoring progress multi function place.
Backlog has Gantt charts and Kanban boards for visualizing and prioritizing work. With out diving deep, you possibly can see which duties are completed, that are being labored on, and which want adjusting at a look. You can provide suggestions and provoke conversations with different staff members and shoppers, make edits, and create new duties proper subsequent to your code.
You even have loads of management over who will get concerned with conversations, as role-based entry management permits you to grant entry as wanted. You do not want to be in your workplace to handle duties with Backlog, both. With its native iOS and Android apps, you possibly can create, replace, and touch upon duties irrespective of the place you might be, as they sync mechanically along with your on-line workspace.
You’ll be able to be taught extra about Kanban in our tutorial Overview of Kanban for Undertaking Managers and Builders. If you’re fascinated with Gantt charts and the way they may also help software program builders and programmers, take a look at our Overview of Gantt Charts.
Important duties are much less prone to slip by the cracks when utilizing Backlog. The mission administration instrument permits you to perceive the place your duties stand by seeing what’s due, what’s delayed, and what must be addressed in a single view. You’ll be able to cut up massive dad or mum duties into subtasks which might be simpler to deal with. And you may assign subtasks to staff members to delegate work and full tasks faster.
Group members can use notifications to know exactly once they have a brand new process on their plate. And if they’ve been talked about in a remark, Backlog’s notification system will allow them to know that too. Different methods during which Backlog promotes process administration embody:
- The power to subject due dates, so staff members are conscious of deadlines and process urgency.
- Concern statuses (open, in progress, resolve, closed) that permit shoppers and staff members know the place a problem stands.
- Assignee filtering to see which staff members are accountable for particular duties.
Communication is essential to any software program mission’s success, and Backlog enhances it by way of its plethora of collaboration options. You’ll be able to collaborate on wikis that give staff members the facility to entry, share, and edit info. You’ll be able to set person roles for many who entry your workspace, plus create visitor accounts as wanted for shoppers and different members of your group who want to remain knowledgeable.
As an alternative of utilizing electronic mail or a separate messaging app, Backlog permits you to speak to your staff by answering questions, leaving feedback, and offering suggestions throughout the software program. And in the event you use one other messaging app like Slack, it integrates with Backlog to deliver your whole convos into one place.
Add in notifications and file-sharing capabilities, and you do not want to make use of different instruments to collaborate with Backlog in place.
Searching for collaboration instruments in your improvement staff? Now we have two nice round-ups with a few of our prime picks:
Your dev staff can simply seize, assign, prioritize, and repair bugs due to Backlog’s bug monitoring options. Right here is how Backlog may also help with every facet of the bug monitoring course of, relying on which plan you choose, as among the options are solely out there with its Premium and Enterprise plans:
- Capturing – Documenting the entire bug’s crucial particulars, which Backlog permits you to do by way of fields for title, description, and attachments. You may as well add customized fields.
- Prioritizing – All bugs should not created equal, as some are extra pressing than others and require extra staff consideration. Backlog permits you to prioritize and assign bugs, plus regulate due dates to make room for brand new ones as they seem.
- Monitoring – You’ll be able to deliver your staff in control concerning a bug’s standing by way of code updates, feedback, focused notifications, and so on.
- Releasing – You’ll be able to launch bug fixes with out leaving Backlog, because the instrument permits builders to create new git branches from inside.
If you’re searching for a person instrument devoted particularly to bug monitoring, take a look at our tutorial on the Greatest Bug Monitoring Software program and Instruments.
Backlog additionally serves as model management software program that simplifies monitoring any code adjustments. You’ll be able to suggest code adjustments earlier than making them official, evaluate adjustments to see variations between recordsdata, touch upon pull requests, get an entire checklist of commits which have occurred, arrange non-public repos due to full integration with SVN and Git, and extra.
Backlog integrates with a number of third-party apps that show you how to prolong the mission administration instrument’s performance much more. You may as well use Backlog’s wealthy API to create your personal integrations and add-ons.
Backlog integrates with the next third-party apps:
- E mail Importer
- Google Sheets Importer
- iCal Sync
- Jira Importer
- Microsoft Groups
- Nulab Go
Backlog is obtainable in 5 pricing plans that may match organizations and budgets of all sizes. Month-to-month and annual billing is out there. Choose the latter, and you may take pleasure in a 16 % low cost.
- Free – No price whilst you use it. Permits for 10 customers, one mission, and 100 MB of storage.
- Starter – $35 per thirty days. Permits for 30 customers, 5 tasks, and 1 GB of storage.
- Normal – The most well-liked Backlog providing is $100 per thirty days. It offers you limitless customers, 100 tasks, 30 GB of storage, and Gantt charts.
- Premium – $175 per thirty days. Limitless customers and tasks, 100 GB of storage, Gantt charts, and customized fields.
- Enterprise – Affords a personal server with limitless tasks and storage. You’ll have to contact Backlog for pricing.
It’s price noting that in case you are on the fence but wish to give Backlog a spin to expertise its options firsthand, you possibly can start a free 30-day trial for the Starter, Normal, and Premium plans.
What are Backlog’s Professionals And Cons?
What are Backlog’s strengths and weaknesses? Here’s a fast abstract of its execs and cons.
We think about these to be a few of Backlog Undertaking Administration’s greatest execs for builders:
- The Free model is surprisingly strong for these searching for a no-cost PM choice.
- All kinds of pricing plans to suit your wants, most of that are fairly reasonably priced in comparison with different mission administration choices available on the market.
- Person-friendly and intuitive for novices who should not skilled with PM software program, making in depth onboarding pointless.
- Offers you a fast overview of tasks in a single look by way of its centralized dashboard.
- A stable variety of integrations with in style instruments and software program prolong its performance.
- Slack integration is remarkably seamless.
- Gantt charts are simple to make use of, customizable, and extremely responsive.
- The cell app works effectively for these on the go.
- Straightforward monitoring of tasks, bugs, and points.
Listed below are a few of Backlog’s greatest cons from a mission administration instrument perspective:
- Some customers have griped about limitations when creating completely different ranges of duties and subtasks and monitoring the time spent on subtasks.
- Issue shifting points between tasks.
- File dimension and storage limits could appear proscribing to some.
Backlog Undertaking Administration Software program: The Verdict
Is Backlog the right mission administration instrument for software program builders? No, because it has its execs and cons. However the execs outweigh the cons, and the truth that Backlog is simple to be taught and use, plus comes with a free model and trials makes it price no less than making an attempt. If you’re looking for mission administration software program with somewhat studying curve so you possibly can focus extra on the duty at hand, Backlog could also be your superb match.